Thurston County Public Works Department’s Traffic Engineering and Operations Section Manager, Scott Davis, P.E., received the 2018 David P. Brand Safety Award.
The award is given by the National Association of County Engineers for a lifetime of achievement in engineering safety. The Thurston County Board of Commissioners recently recognized Scott Davis for the honor.
Davis has worked keeping Thurston County safe for 20 years. He created a roadway safety plan for Thurston County using data from existing collisions to prevent accidents and improve street safety.
Davis’ traffic safety projects and accomplishments include:
- LED street lights to improve street illumination
- Rumble strips to warn drivers when they’re drifting off the road
- Traffic islands to narrow lanes and prevent speeding
- High friction road treatments to prevent skidding
- Lydia Hawk Elementary walking route safety improvements in Tanglewilde neighborhood, which helped earn the Public Works Department $1.6 million in grant money
- Helped bring in $7 million in federal grant dollars to improve Thurston County’s traffic safety
“Thurston County is fortunate to have Scott as a member of our team,” says Bud Blake, chair of the Board of County Commissioners for Thurston County. “His expertise in local roadway safety is critical to our mission of ensuring the safety and well-being of the County’s many residents and visitors on the roads.”
To learn more about Thurston County’s traffic safety projects, go here.