In response to winter weather conditions in the forecast, the City of Tacoma Public Works Department has deployed 12 snowplows, three deicing trucks with plows, and four sanding trucks throughout Tacoma.
The City encourages residents to prepare for winter weather by:
- Equipping vehicles with good tires, windshield wipers, chains, sand, and emergency supplies.
- Researching public transportation options.
- Planning driving routes and organizing them by primary, secondary, and auxiliary routes as outlined on the City’s snow routes map.
- For those living on a hill or somewhere difficult to access in the snow, look for a flat place to legally park your vehicle on nights when snow is in the forecast. Also, choose a location where putting on chains can be done safely.
- For those who live or work on a primary, secondary, or auxiliary snow plow route, look for an adjacent flat street to legally park your vehicle. Doing so will prevent vehicles from getting covered or blocked in by plowed snow and will make it easier for crews to safely plow city streets.
For more information on snow operations and to view the snow routes map, visit this website.