According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, 99.5 percent of businesses in Washington qualify as small businesses. Those 590,908 small businesses employ approximately 1.3 million people, or 51.5 percent of all employees in the state.
In Pierce, King, and Thurston Counties, small businesses employ between 47 and 58 percent of employees in each county. In Kitsap and Mason Counties, small businesses employ between 58 and 65 percent of workers.
Numerous other resources are also available year round:
- Pierce County Economic Development Department
- Tacoma SCORE
- Economic Development Board of Tacoma-Pierce County
- City of Tacoma Small Business Assistance
- King County Library System
- King County Small Contractor and Supplier Certification
- Economic Development Council of Seattle & King County
- SBA Seattle District Small Business Resource Guide
- Washington Business Hub
- Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance
- Washington Employment Security Department
- Washington Small Business Development Center