Job seekers of the South Sound can gain skills and certifications through the Pierce County Library System this summer. A series of free workshops and classes have been designed to assist individuals in job searching, mastering new technologies, and making informed decisions about career changes.
The Get Hired program is funded through the Pierce County Library Foundation and partners with WorkForce Central and WorkSource to bring expert help to job seekers so they can get a competitive edge in the job market.
“How people find and apply for jobs and career advancement has changed with technology,” said Pierce County Library System’s executive director Georgia Lomax. “Connecting job seekers with employment experts provides them with skills training and proven techniques about the job search process, which can be the difference in landing an interview and getting hired.”
Summer workshops cover an array of employment-related topics, including:
Job Seeker’s Guide to the Cloud
Become an expert at navigating Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, and Dropbox for job searching. Registration required.
- Thursday, July 11, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Steilacoom Pierce County Library.
- Friday, Aug. 30, 2-4 p.m. Graham Pierce County Library.
- Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2-4 p.m. Gig Harbor Pierce County Library.
Get Hired Help
All tech and job-related questions will be answered in this workshop. Access résumé help, tech skills, job search assistance, and more.
- Thursday, July 18, 2-4 p.m. Key Center Pierce County Library.
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, 2-4 p.m. Parkland/Spanaway Pierce County Library.
- Thursday, Aug. 29, 2-4 p.m. Milton/Edgewood Pierce County Library.
- Friday, Sept. 20, 2-4 p.m. Buckley Pierce County Library.
Job Hunting for Mature Workers
This workshop is geared toward older adults who are making career changes or might be over-qualified for open positions. Registration required.
- Wednesday, July 24, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Sumner Pierce County Library.
- Tuesday, Sept. 24, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Gig Harbor Pierce County Library.
Free Technology Certifications
Get Hired offers free online courses, complete with practice test and certifications. Certifications are available for:
- Adobe products: Animate, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, and Premiere Pro
- Microsoft programs: Access 2016, Excel 2016, Outlook 2016, PowerPoint 2016, and Word 2016
- QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online