In 2016, co-working spaces were flourishing, and Eli and Amber Moreno wanted to create a place where artists and entrepreneurs could work and mingle under the same roof. The couple purchased Tacoma’s historic Union Club on Broadway and renovated it into a co-working hub with a dedicated artist studio and event space.
The property was originally built in 1888 as a men’s-only business and social club for prominent Tacoma leaders. The space also hosted distinguished guests like President William Taft and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt. In 1906, the space was upgraded with a three-story addition to allow women into the ranks of Union Club membership. Later in 1936, the club was renamed University Union Club, which existed until 1985, when the building began to crumble.
The building had deteriorated quite a bit before the Morenos entered the scene. They redid all the plumbing and electrical, and rebuilt the second-story deck from the foundation up. And while the atmosphere feels fresh, it certainly hasn’t lost its vintage vibe. There’s a balanced mix of antique tables and chairs — some of which are original to the club — as well as new furnishings, making it an inviting communal space for all creative types.
Architectural features like tapered columns, curved beveled glass, and city views through well-placed dormers take you back to 1888.
Historical photos line the walls behind those working in this common area.
An on-site coffee bar is available all day to keep those creative ideas moving.
The founders of gdmthr.com perfect their website at Union Club each day.
Room with a View
Natural light spills into this space with windows overlooking Commencement Bay and Mount Rainier beyond.
Old world meets new technology in this communal office space.