Morgan Family YMCA is opening a new facility in Tacoma, referred to as the “new YMCA on Pearl Street,” that will feature a new and innovative building design.
According to published reports, construction is slated to begin next June. The current facility, located adjacent to the new site, is expected to remain open during the construction phase of the new building. Once the new 94,000-square-foot building is constructed, the current facility will be demolished to make space for improved outdoor fields for youth sports, day camp, and summer programs.
“The current building is deteriorating and further remodels and retrofits are not feasible as doing so would require seismic, fire suppression, HVAC, and other system upgrades to meet current building codes. The cost to maintain and repair the existing facility is a substantial portion of its operating budget and is unsustainable,” according to the Morgan Family YMCA statement. “A new, modern facility is necessary, and building a new YMCA on Pearl Street is the most cost-effective use of the Y’s and community’s resources.”
The new facility is projected to serve 21,000 people per year and will feature the following:
- A modern aquatics center;
- Group exercise and multipurpose rooms;
- Space for youth and arts;
- Improved parking with an additional 100 parking spaces;
- An updated Child Watch area to serve its youngest members;
- More windows to bring in natural light and views of Mount Rainier; and
- An outdoor space for youth sports and day camp.