Metro Parks Tacoma is seeking public comment on proposed municipal park code changes that address issues involving drones, vaping, temporary structures, and more.
The Park Board expects to consider the proposals in September. If the Park Board endorses the changes, the final decision rests with the Tacoma City Council, likely no earlier than October. There will be additional opportunities to comment as the Park Board and City Council consider the proposals during their public meetings.
Proposed changes to Tacoma Municipal Code section 8.27:
- Clarifies the current prohibition of smoking in parks to include the use of e-cigarettes, vapor products, or other nicotine-containing substances.
- Adds drones, “sky lanterns,” unmanned aircraft systems, and motorized models as prohibited equipment except as specifically authorized.
- Aligns electric scooters, e-bikes, mono-wheel devices, surreys, scooters, and similar devices with existing rules for bicycles that restrict them to designated roads, sidewalks, paths, or trails.
- Limits permissible “structures” in parks to only those specifically authorized or are temporary and have only a roof and no walls.
- Clarifies continuous moorage at park buoys as three overnight periods within a 10-day period, regardless of whether they are consecutive.
- Authorizes the park district to adopt a code of conduct that regulates activities or behavior in parks to protect the public’s health and safety, to promote respect for the rights and needs of others, and to preserve park property.
Click here to submit a comment on any of the proposals. The full text of the proposed changes can be found here.