Greentrike, which has a well-established relationship with both military leadership and military families through its long-running Play to Learn Pierce County program, has announced the opening on April 24 of the new Children’s Museum at Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM). This marks the first children’s museum on a U.S. military installation in the world.
The new children’s museum on base will be centrally located within the “Freedom Center,” the new town center on JBLM, which also includes a spray park, a skate park, shopping and restaurants, and a movie theater.
The children’s museum will, according to Greentrike, be:
- Focused on early learners, with programming to focus on special needs families;
- Accessible by bus, with accessible parking;
- Office space for MWR Children and Youth Services;
- A 24/7 neutral gathering space in times of crisis for military spouses and families; and
- A collaborative opportunity with community engagement organizations currently operating on JBLM.