A free military-veteran hiring toolkit designed to guide civilian employers in recruiting veterans is now available from the Society for Human Resource Management. The 32-page toolkit details 10-steps to follow to effectively source, recruit and retain military veterans in the civilian workplace.
The toolkit describes and defines the military-connected talent – veterans, guard, reservists, spouses and other supporting family members – that employers should consider when creating recruitment outreach plans.
• Resources to find military veterans seeking private-sector employment.
• Resources for translating military skills into skills civilian employers can understand.
• Tips for creating a military-ready or veteran-hiring organizational culture.
• What employers need to know about military talent and military families.
• What employers need to know about related employment laws and compliance.
The information guide also includes examples of award-winning, military-hiring initiatives and created by SHRM chapters and state councils across the United States.
Additionally, the guide includes descriptions of successful initiatives highlighted in the Employer Support for the Military Community study by the Families and Work Institute.