The crowd of professionals that turned out for the Kent Chamber of Commerce 2012 President's Gala & Business Leadership Excellence Awards on Saturday evening received a slight surprise.
Instead of giving out nine awards, as most would have anticipated, the chamber decided to hand out 11 because competition was so fierce that in two of the categories the chamber decided it was best to name it a tie.
• President's Leadership Award: Gary Nomensen, Puget Sound Energy
• Government Employee of the Year: Sen. Joe Fain, State of Washington, and Rep. Dave Upthegrove, State of Washington
• Economic Engine: Exotic Metals Forming Co. and Starbucks Roasting Plant of Kent
• Ambassador of the Year: Jade Garrison, Trillium Employment Services
• Robert E. Lee Membership Development: Jim Berrios, Golden Steer Steak & Rib House
• Company Citizenship Award: Curran Law Firm, Greg Haffner
• Innovation Award: Pegasus Northwest
• Educator of the Year Award: Aerospace Joint Apprenticeship Committee
• Best Practices: Two Men And A Truck, Rick and Glenna Clendenen